Children dressed up as Romans
This session has been designed to support the study of life in Roman Britain.
- KS2 and KS3
- Uses Reading’s unique collection of objects excavated from Roman Silchester
- Opportunities to handle real objects, including pottery and building materials
- Opportunities to wear replica costume
- See Roman mosaics and pottery on display in adjacent areas
- Online resources available to support your visit
- Understand what town life was like at Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester)
- Understand the impact of Roman occupation on the existing British inhabitants
Visit Reading Museum's famous Roman eagle! The unique Silchester Eagle was the inspiration for a children's book by Rosemary Sutcliff, The Eagle of the Ninth, which has now been made into a film. You can see the real thing in the Silchester Gallery at Reading Museum.
Date updated: 31 Jan 2017
Roman Life Topic Web
Ideas for cross-curricular links