Now available for booking!
To celebrate the 900th anniversary of Reading Abbey, we are introducing our new online session, Royals in Reading!
Discover how Reading was formed through the influence of significant figures such as Henry l, Henry Vlll and Elizabeth l. Learn how their power struggle with the Church affected the lives of ordinary people in Reading.
The teacher pack for this session will include:
1 - Downloadable resources for activities pre-session
- Pre-activity 1 - 3D Reading Abbey
- Pre-activity 2 - Match the Meaning: Exploring key words of the Abbey
2 - Downloadable resources for activities during the session
- Worksheet 1 – Monk's jobs
- Worksheet 2 – Reading Abbey object investigation
- Worksheet 3 – Choosing Reading (geographic features)
- Worksheet 4 - Selling Reading Abbey (Dissolution of the monasteries)
3 - Downloadable resources for follow-up activities in the classroom
- Post-Activity 1 – The Reading Abbey Dance
- Post-Activity 2 – Reading Abbey Characters (Role-play)
- Post-Activity 3 - Reading Abbey tiles (design activity)
We recommend booking this session with The Bayeux Tapestry Virtual Session
Really enjoyable and very informative!
- Key Stage 2 - available with modifications for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 3
- Discover Reading’s unique Abbey Ruins
- Opportunities to explore real objects through videos and photographs, including medieval pottery and tiles from Reading Abbey
- To understand how Reading was formed, over time, through the influence of significant figures like Henry I, Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.
- Learn how significant changes such as the dissolution of the monasteries affected the development of the local area.