Now available for booking!
Discover how Reading developed through the influence of the Great Abbey and the kings and Queens who shaped its history: Henry l, who built the Abbey; Henry Vlll who dissolved it and Elizabeth l who enjoyed it as a Royal Palace. Geography, history, Religion and Literacy are just some of the themes we will cover in this interactive session.
The teacher pack for this session will include downloadable resources for activities before, during and after the session. For example:
- 3D Reading Abbey
- Match the Meaning: Exploring key words of the Abbey
- Monk's jobs
- Reading Abbey object investigation
- The Reading Abbey Dance
- Reading Abbey Characters (Role-play)
- and much more...
Reading and its Abbey Virtual Session is perfect as support to Local History modules or in combination with our Bayeux Tapestry Virtual Session to explore Medieval History.
Really enjoyable and very informative!- Crossfields School
- Key Stage 2 - available with modifications for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 3
- Discover Reading’s unique Abbey Ruins
- Opportunities to explore real objects through videos and photographs, including medieval pottery and tiles from Reading Abbey
- To understand how Reading was formed, over time, through the influence of significant figures like Henry I, Henry VIII and Elizabeth I.
- Learn how significant changes such as the dissolution of the monasteries affected the development of the local area.